I am married with five children. I have four daughters and one son. Three of my daughters are young adults, my youngest daughter and my son are both primary school age. I will be welcoming my first grandchild into the world very soon. Life has offered me many lessons, some of which have been difficult and challenging and these life experiences, alongside my professional work are woven into my practice.
My Counselling Qualifications
I hold a Level 3 Certificate in Counselling and a Level 4 Diploma in Person Centred Counselling from Exeter College. In addition I have furthered my training with a Degree in Addictions Counselling from the University of Bath. Im currently training in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR) which is a powerful psychotherapy designed to help people recover from traumatic events in their lives. I will be offering EMDR from January 2022.
Below is a selection of my Continued Professional Development and further training.
- Complex Trauma Certification Training Level 1 & 2 – Janina Fisher
- Advanced Trauma Treatment for Children and Adolescents: a certified Child and Adolescent Trauma Professional Training Course
- The Body Remembers: Integrating Body and Mind for Trauma Recovery – Babette Rothschild, MSW, LCSW
- Couples Therapy for Treating Trauma: The Gottman Method Approach.
- The Science of Trust and Betrayal – John Gottman Ph.D
- The Gottman Method to Treating Trauma and Affairs, Dr John Gottman and Julie Gottman, Ph.D
- Parenting Post Trauma – Lisa Cherry
- Attachment in Adults: How infant Attachment Security Affects Adult Relationships – Susan Johnson, Ed.D et al.
- Toxic Shame in Clinical Practice: Help Clients release shame, get unstuck and Improve Outcomes – Patti Ashley, Ph.D
- Bereavement support for young people – Balloons Charity
- How to do Counselling Online: A Coronavirus Primer – BACP.
My Professional Counselling Experience
I have fifteen years of experience in counselling. I began my journey as a counsellor in a youth centre in Tiverton and a low cost counselling service for adults in Exmouth. I have worked extensively with the NHS and also with charities in Exeter’s drug and alcohol services as a counsellor, supervisor, and trainer.
I have a specialist training in addiction, substance use and trauma, with further training and interest in relationships and attachment, adverse childhood experiences and eating disorders. That is not to say I only work in these areas, the people I work with come to see me for many different reasons and I work with whatever feels important to you.
Currently I divide my time between my private practice and working for Life Chance Training as a trainer and supervisor delivering workshops on trauma, adverse childhood experiences and trauma informed care to multi professional audiences. In my spare time I volunteer at a local charity that provides grief work to young people who have experienced bereavement.
My day to day work includes but is not limited to working with:
- Alcohol and Drugs
- Eating Disorders
- Family problems
- Life Crisis
- Pregnancy and Postnatal Recovery
- Recovery and Sobriety Coaching
- Stress and Burnout
- Women’s issues