I am married with five children. I have four daughters and one son. Three of my daughters are young adults, my youngest daughter is four and my only son is five. Life has offered me many lessons, some of which have been difficult and challenging and these life experiences, alongside my professional work are woven into my practice. I am able to be a fully present, compassionate and empathetic listener and I’m a firm believer in walking the walk and not just talking the talk. That does not mean that I do everything perfectly because I don’t. I am a notoriously horrible cook with a weakness for shoes and a hopeless dreamer who loses herself in books, art, and nature.
My Counselling Qualifications
I hold a Level 3 Certificate in Counselling and a Level 4 Diploma in Person Centred Counselling from Exeter College. In addition I have furthered my academic achievements with a Level 5 Foundation Degree in Addictions Counselling from the University of Bath.
Below is a selection of my Continued Professional Development and further training.
- The Body Remembers: Integrating Body and Mind for Trauma Recovery – Babette Rothschild, MSW, LCSW
- Couples Therapy for Treating Trauma: The Gottman Method Approach.
- The Science of Trust and Betrayal – John Gottman Ph.D
- The Gottman Method to Treating Trauma and Affairs, Dr John Gottman and Julie Gottman, Ph.D
- Parenting Post Trauma – Lisa Cherry
- Attachment in Adults: How infant Attachment Security Affects Adult Relationships – Susan Johnson, Ed.D et al.
- Toxic Shame in Clinical Practice: Help Clients release shame, get unstuck and Improve Outcomes – Patti Ashley, Ph.D
- The Healing Power of Sandtray Therapy – Tammi Van Hollender, LCSW, RPT.
- How to do Counselling Online: A Coronavirus Primer – BACP.
- Brief Solution Focussed Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Post-Natal Depression Practitioner Training
My Professional Counselling Experience
I have fifteen years of experience in counselling. I began my journey as a counsellor in a youth centre in Tiverton and a low cost counselling service for adults in Exmouth. I have worked extensively with the NHS and also with charities in Exeter’s drug and alcohol services as a counsellor, supervisor, and trainer.
I have a specialist training in addiction, substance abuse and eating disorders, with further training and interest in relationships and attachments, adverse childhood experiences and trauma. That is not to say I only work in these areas, the people I work with come to see me for many different reasons and I work with whatever feels important to you. I am passionate about supporting the people I work with to feel empowered and to be fully self expressed, so they can enjoy their relationship with self and others.
Currently I divide my time between building my private practice and training to volunteer at a local charity that provides grief work to young people who have experienced bereavement.
My day to day work includes but is not limited to working with:
- Alcohol and Drugs
- Eating Disorders
- Family problems
- Life Crisis
- Pregnancy and Postnatal Recovery
- Recovery and Sobriety Coaching
- Stress and Burnout
- Women’s issues