My Counselling Qualifications
BA (Hons) Integrative Counselling (University of Worcester, September 2022)
EMDR Therapy Core Training (Parts 1 and 2, 2022)
Core (Level 1) Europe Accredited EMDR Child and Adolescent Training
Foundation Degree Addictions Counselling (University of Bath, 2012)
Diploma in Person Centred Counselling (Exeter College, 2005)
Certificate in Counselling (Exeter College,2004)
My Professional Counselling Experience
I have seventeen years of experience as a therapist. I began my journey as a counsellor in a youth centre in Tiverton and a low cost counselling service for adults in Exmouth. I have worked extensively within the NHS and also with charities in Exeter’s drug and alcohol services as a counsellor, supervisor, and trainer specialising in the field of Psychological Trauma and Addiction. With further training and interest in childhood adversity and attachment theory, I’m particularly interested how our attachment system shapes and influences how we relate in our relationships as adults.
That is not to say I only work in these areas, the people I work with come to see me for many different reasons and I work with whatever feels important to you.
Currently I divide my time between my private practice and working for Life Chance Education as a trainer and consultant delivering workshops and training on trauma, adverse childhood experiences and trauma informed care to multi professional audiences.
My day to day work includes but is not limited to working with:
- Alcohol and Drugs
- Eating Disorders
- Family problems
- Life Crisis
- Pregnancy and Postnatal Recovery
- Recovery and Sobriety Coaching
- Stress and Burnout
- Women’s issues
Below is a selection of my Continued Professional Development and further training.
- Attachment-Focussed EMDR Course: A clinicians guide to healing trauma and developmental deficits, Laurel Parnell
- EMDR Mastery course: Assessment, resourcing and Treatment Techniques for Trauma and Anxiety, Jennifer Sweeton, Psy D
- Complex Trauma Certification Training Level 1 & 2 – Janina Fisher
- Advanced Trauma Treatment for Children and Adolescents: a certified Child and Adolescent Trauma Professional Training Course, Jennifer Lefebre,Psy D & Janet Courtney, PhD
- Applied Polyvagal Theory in Yoga for Trauma Recovery, Dr Arielle Schwartz
- Women, embodiment and Trauma Recovery: Befriending the Body with Therapeutic Yoga, Dr Arielle Schwartz
- Treating complex Trauma with Internal Family Systems, Dr Frank Anderson
- The Body Remembers: Integrating Body and Mind for Trauma Recovery – Babette Rothschild, MSW, LCSW
- Couples Therapy for Treating Trauma: The Gottman Method Approach.
- The Science of Trust and Betrayal – John Gottman Ph.D
- The Gottman Method to Treating Trauma and Affairs, Dr John Gottman and Julie Gottman, Ph.D
- Attachment in Adults: How infant Attachment Security Affects Adult Relationships – Susan Johnson, Ed.D et al.
- Bereavement support for young people – Balloons Charity